The Bimberi Nature Reserve is approximately 7,100 hectare, located 30 kms
south-west of Canberra, on an elevated block of the Brindabella Range. The
reserve lies between Namadgi and Kosciuszko National Parks and ranges in height
from 750 to 1857 m. The reserve lies on the junction of the territories of the
Ngunawal and Walgalu Aboriginal people, whose occupation dates back 5,000 years.
Much evidence in the recorded sites have scattered artifacts, and in adjacent
areas are stone arrangements, rock shelters and art sites have also been found.
Many of the recorded sites lie along spur and ridge-lines, whilst treeless areas
such as Brumby Flats are also likely to contain evidence of sites. Camp sites
are also known to occur at Mount Franklin, Mount Ginnini and Mount Gingera in
the neighbouring Namadgi National Park.
The ACT/NSW boundary of the reserve passes through Pryor’s Hut and the
Franklin Chalet. Pryor’s Hut was built in the early 1950’s along with an
arboretum of pine species as an annexe to the National Botanic Gardens. The
Franklin Chalet was constructed in 1938 to service the Canberra Alpine Club and
is open to visitors at various times of the year.
For more information and
contact details visit the Australian Alps National Parks website.