The original name of the town was ‘Burrowa’. In 1914 when the railway station
was being named, it was discovered that in 1850 when the town was designed and
surveyed, the name that appeared on the application which went to the Executive
Council for approval was ‘Boorowa’. It is not clear what the meaning of the name
was, the most popular translation being ‘Plain Turkey’.
It is believed that
the Boorowa Aborigines belonged to the Wiradjuri Tribe, whilst others believe
they were of the Ngunnawal Tribe. In fact, the name ‘Boorowa’ is credited coming
from the Ngunnawal Tribe.
Check out some of the listed travel guide attractions and visit the local tourist centre for additional information.