Broken Hill Attractions
Cnr William & Buck Sts,
BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Ph: 08 8088 1713
On the site of the former camel
camp where Afghan and Indian camel drivers loaded and unloaded their camel
teams from the earliest days of Broken Hill.
With the establishment of the post
office on 1st January, 1886, it was announced in July that the new township
would be named Willyama. However, the name proved unpopular the original title
of Broken Hill was retained. Broken Hill was so named because of the rugged
nature of its rocky summit.
|Broken Hill Two-Up
Broken Hill Musicians Club
Ph: 08 8088 1777 Fax: 08 8088 5932
The original two-up on at Friday and
Saturday from 10 pm, with extra times as advertised. G-Line Confidential
Gambling Help 1800 633 635
|The Conservation Centre
479 Crystal St, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Ph: 08 08087 8226
A Living Museum Project by the West
Darling Machinery Preservation Society. A picnic train at Kintore Reserve runs
every 3rd Sunday of each month.
Ph: 08 8088 1604 (Mine) / 08 8087 4905 (AH) Fax: 08 8088 5282
Located directly behind the Railway Station (access via Crystal &
Iodide Streets). Underground tours of an original BHP mine, 200 metres
There are a number of galleries
displaying the local artists. Many artist came and went. Some stayed. Come and
talk to them about their work and their love of the outback.
Cnr Bromide & Crystal Sts, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Ph/Fax: 08 8087 6538
See the fabulous mineral collection,
learn about the science of crystals, explore the history of our planet, see our
42 kg silver nugget. Hands-on displays that is fun for all the family in this
interactive museum and interpretive centre.
|Hall of Fame (Returned &
Services League of Australia)
399 Argent St, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880 Ph: 08 8088 1024
Visit the Broken Hill RSL Hall of
Fame Museum to view memorabilia of war history, photos, badges, swords, and
other items of interest.
1 Brown St, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Mobile: 0427 885 682 (Mine) Ph/Fax: 08 8088 4532 (Home)
An exhilarating walk back in time to
1882. View original smelter and township. A walk-in mine for all ages, that was
once mined by children. Tours are approximately 1 hour.
Line of Lode
Ph: 08 8088 6000
Heritage tours, mining history,
geology, and more.
|Living Desert Picnic Area
Located at the base of the Symposium
Lookout (12 km), the area includes undercover picnic tables, gas BBQ's and
toilets. Enter through the second entrance of the Living Desert Reserve.
|Living Desert Reserve
The Broken Hill Sculpture
Symposium was held in 1993. Sculptors from around the world were invited to
participate in this project, to make it an internationally renowned site with
spectacular 360 degree views.
The site is situated only 11 km from the town centre. Follow Kaolin Street into
Nine Mile Road and watch for the signs.
There are two ways to access the reserve, by vehicle/coach or by the walk
access. Details are available from the Visitor Information Centre. If you are
travelling by vehicle/coach, a key is obtained from the Information Visitor
Centre that will unlock the gate, enabling you to drive up to the top of the
sculpture site. A small fee is charged, as well as a refundable deposit.
Mungo National Park
There is no place more magical,
mysterious and beautiful then World Heritage listed Mungo. Remains of the
earliest known humans to inhabit the Australian continent have been found here.
These have recently been redated at more then 60,000 years old - a finding that
will have a revolutionary impact on our concept of ancient Aboriginal history.
|Names and Meanings
- Menindee from Minandichee - dried tumble weed.
- Mundi Mundi a place where there is much permanent water.
- Mutawintjti place of green grass/meeting place.
- Pooncarie giant sand hill.
- Tibooburra place of many rocks.
- Umberumberka native rat hole.
- Willyama youth/hill with broken contour.
- Wilcannia gap in the bank where flood water escapes.
Some of the national parks of the
Historical Photo Gallery
Eyre St, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880 Ph: 08 8087 9322
Quality black and white photographs
and storylines providing a comprehensive overview of Broken Hills history.
|Pro Hart Gallery
08 8088 2992 Ph: 08 8087 2441 (Pro Hart Art Sales)
No visit to Broken Hill is complete
without a visit to the Pro Hart Gallery, featuring one of the largest private
art collections in Australia. Check out the Sir William Dobell Collection and
the Rogers electronic pipe organ, one of the largest of its type in Australia.
|Railway, Mineral & Train
diagonally opposite the Visitor Information Centre Ph: 08 8088 4660
Large display of old railway machinery and an extensive mineral
collection. Incorporates separate Hospital Museum.
Galena St (near Westside Plaza)
A semi-arid area comprising plants
that are indigenous to western New South Wales. When possible the main
attraction is a feature planting of Sturt Peas, being very popular with the
Royal Flying Doctor Service
Broken Hill Base Ph: 08 8080 1777
See the base at work, visit the
museum, watch a video and shop for souvenirs.
|Silver City Mint & Art Centre
66 Chloride St, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Ph: 08 8088 6166 Ph: 08 8087 5463 (AH)
of the largest acrylic painting on canvas (12m x 100m). Smelting, casting and
manufacturing of local silver jewellery. View extensive range of originals and
lithographs by well known Broken Hill and Australian Artists. Also spectacular
minerals on display and for sale. Rest and enjoy the homemade cakes and coffee
in the cafe.
Stehens Creek Reservoir and
Located 17 km on Sydney Highway,
constructed in 1892 with an original capacity of 17,916 mega litres. The
spillway was raiased one metre in 1909, increasing the capacity to 24,367 ml.
Due to siltation over the years the present capacity is approximately 20,589 ml.
Stephens Creek has a picnic area, that includes tables and BBQs.
Cnr Sulphide & Wolfram Sts, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Home to the Titanic Memorial,
dedicated to the Bandsmen on the Titanic. There is a rose garden and play
equipment for children.
Cnr Beryl & Buck Sts, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Ph: 08 8087 6111 Fax: 08 8087 6112
A Complete Indigenous Cultural
Located on the Silver City Highway
(Mildura Rd) and only 5 km from the city centre. There are large grassed areas,
swings and slides.
|Walk Tours of Broken Hill
These informative historic tours
depart from the visitor Information Centre Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10
am. The walk is about 2 hours. Check with the Visitor Information Centre for
|Walk Trail: Living
The walk trail starts from the Living
Desert Reserve picnic area and takes you to the Sculpture site. Signage along
the route explain the flora and fauna of the area. Approximately 40 minutes
|Whites Mineral Art &
Living Mining Museum & Doll & Bear Display
1 Allendale St, BROKEN HILL NSW 2880
Ph: 08 8087 2878 Fax: 08 8087 7884
Experience the underground mining on
the surface. Features walk-in mine, video, guided tours, mining models, dolls
and bear display.
Wildflowers such as the Sturt Desert
Pea can usually be seen during the August to October season.