Once considered as the site for Australia’s capital, the historic village of Dalgety is
is the only town left on the banks of the Snowy River in New South Wales. After
the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme was built in the 1950s, the original towns of
Jindabyne and Adaminaby were flooded.
The township was survey in 1874 by
Surveyor General J. R. Campbell and was previously known as “Buckley’s
Crossing”. In 1902 it was gazetted as the site for the National Capital,
although after much debate, it was thought to be too close to Victoria, and so
missed out to Canberra.
Dalgety was once a major stock crossing, when bullock trains were the mode of
transport. A punt was used to carry stock and travelers across the river, before
the bridge was built in 1888.