The small village of Fitzroy Falls lies at the edge of an escarpment, with steep
cliffs that descend to the valley floor. It is also home to the popular natural
attraction, a waterfall that was once known as ‘Throsby’s Waterfall’ after the
explorer Charles Throsby, although now it is known as Fitzroy Waterfall.
waterfall itself is fed by the Yarrunga Creek, which drops over 80 metres down
the the escarpment and then flows into the Kangaroo River.
In 1882, a large area of 4,000 acres was turned into a reserve, being already
popular as a local attraction for visitors. Today, the reserve is part of the
Morton National Park.