Copeland is located about 19 km west of
Gloucester via Barrington.
It was near here at Back Creek that alluvial gold was discovered by Mr Saxby in
The discovery saw the start of the gold rush and the population
increased to over 1,100 persons, of which 800 were miners. Their needs were
catered for by four stores and three public houses.
Subterranean mining commenced in 1877 and at the height of the gold rush
(1877-1880) there were some 3,000 people working the 51 reefs. Names given to
the reefs included the Rainbow, the Centennial, the Mountain Maid, the Hidden
Treasure, the Lady Lizzie, the Mechanics, the Morning Star, the Star of the
South, the Rose and Thistle, and Lord of the North.