Pronounced yuke-eye, meaning edible swamp fern root, the
village of Uki is located on the edge of the national parks and the
south arm of the Tweed Valley, just 15 km west of Murwillumbah. Across
the Tweed River, the land rises steeply, sweeping up to the peaks of
Mount Warning, Mount Uki and the Sisters.
First settled in the 1860s, the
main industry of the time was the timber cedar, but the land offered great
dairy farming potential and this became the mainstay of the area.
village is filled with history, from the site of the Norco butter processing
factory, the old bank (1910), Uki Hall (formerly the School of Arts, 1914), two
churches and a convent.