The road to the memorial, could have potentially cost more than the monument
itself, except for the fact it was constructed with voluntary labour from the
small population of the time. The corner floodlights, which were originally from
motor cars and powered by a battery, were finally replaced with lights from the
decommissioned HMAS Yarra in 1979.
There are two flagpoles, the one on the east side flying the Australian flag and
the one on the west side flying the Northern Territory flag.
On Anzac Day 1934 the RSL President, Dudley Adamson, who was the first
postmaster of Alice Springs, unveiled the memorial and laid the official wreath.
The Reverend Griffiths made the dedication.
More information can be had about the
contribution of our soldiers from the region in the
RSL Club War Museum,
which is acknowledged as having one of the most significant
collections of war memorabilia in Australia, dating from circa 1854 to the Timor
RSL Club War Museum
is located on Schwartz Crs, just a short distance from Anzac Hill.
Source: History of the RSL Club in Alice Springs, RSL Social Club & War Museum