The importance of aircraft services to deliver mail and supplies was a major
factor in opening up the Territory. Edward John (EJ or Eddie) Connellan, was a pioneer of
aviation in the Northern Territory, establishing the first aerodrome in Alice
Springs on the site of the current Alice Springs Cultural Precinct.
was purchase in pre-fabricated form from the Sydney Williams Company in 1939 by
Eddy Connellan. It was constructed at the town Aerodrome in Alice Springs by the Connellan
Airways, who operated aircraft for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. Various extensions were added
before the Aerodrome closed in
In 1979 the Central Australian Aviation Museum Society extensively restored the
building with funds from the Northern Territory Government.