Australias Peanut Capital
White settlers first appeared in these parts in 1843, when
Henry Stuart Russell selected some land at Burrandowan just
west of present day Kingaroy. It wasnt until 1904 when then
government decided to put a rail line through the region
that the township started to grow. Danish and German
settlers were prominent in these early days and it is believed the town got
its name from the local Aboriginal word for
red ant (Kingaroori).
Peanuts were introduced in 1924
and quickly became a major crop along with other rural
industries. Today this mainly rural location has diversified
into wine making and olive groves which do extremely well.