Dalhousie Homestead /
The Dalhousie homestead buildings were built between 1872 and 1885 and constructed from
the springs limestone. This small settlement consisted of the homestead, a shed, workmen's
quarters, blacksmith's shop and the stockyards. The homestead is thought to be
the earliest structure on the station. The fence was erected to protect the building from being
undermined by rabbits.
Abandoned since 1925, by 1994 all the buildings on the
Dalhousie Homestead Station were in a
bad state of decay due to the harsh desert environment. Stabilisation work was
carried out in 994, with finance being provided by National
Parks and Wildlife SA, State Heritage Fund and the Lewis family. The stone from the decaying
buildings, sand from the local area and water from the springs were used to
rebuild some of the walls and to cap them to prevent further decay.