About 70 km in length and 30 minutes south of Hobart, Bruny Island
can be casually driven around in a day. With access by a 15
minute passenger-vehicle ferry from the small village of
Kettering, the island offers plenty to see and do for
The original inhabitants were the Nuenone
Tribe, who are the ancestors of our Tasmanian Truganini.
Under their last chief Mangano, the Aborigines from this
region have always worked in harmony with those appointed to
conciliate with them.
Evidence suggest that Europeans discovered Adventure Bay
in 1642. Abel Tasman when searching for the Great South
Land, sighted the east coast landfall, but was unable to
land due to gale-force winds. More than 100 years later,
Captain Cook and fellow explorer Furneaux sailed close, but
it was Furneaux who followed Tasman’s charts named Adventure
Bay (after his ship). Captain James Cook eventually landed
here in 1777.