was first settled in 1813 and is one of the oldest towns in
northern Tasmania. Classified as a historic town, and
located just off the Midland Highway, there are still many
historic buildings and properties, most of which were built
by convict labour.
Several of the Longford churches date
back to its colonial beginnings including the Catholic
Church, made of bluestone, and the Anglican Christ Church.
The Anglican Christ Church built in 1839, was recently in
the news (Oct, 2002) when the 80m high Californian redwood that
stood in front of the church, was blasted by lightning. At
more more than 160 years old, this was once Longfords
biggest tree. The church graveyard contains many of
Longfords pioneer settlers.
Longford was originally
called Latour, the name being changed to Longford in 1833.
Longford was established by free settlers, not convicts, on
the fertile plains at the junction of the South Esk and
20 minutes from Launceston, Longford has two of Tasmanias
finest and significant farming estates, Brickendon and
Woolmers Estate, both being open to the public.