Located in the foothills of Australia's great Dividing Range, the Alexandra is the
gateway to Lake Eildon, as well as providing access to the Victoria High Country
and the snowfields.
Hume and Hovel were the first white Europeans to the area
in 1824. The town was settled in the late 1860s with the discovery of gold in
the region. The town was originally known as Redgate, or Red Gate Diggings, but
was renamed after Alexandra of Denmark, who was Queen Consort to Edward VII of
the United Kingdom (and had the title HRH The Princess of Wales)1.
The timbered fertile soils in the surrounding Upper Goulburn River attracted
settlers eager to farm, and when the gold ran out, agriculture and timber became
the main industry.