In 1863 a Michael Samson accompanied the regions first settler Mr Walter Padbury
to this remote part of West Australia's north west. He established Point Samson
as the port of call for
Roebourne to the south.
Located in the Central Pilbara Coast, right at the eastern tip of the Dampier
Archipelago, just north of Cossack and
Samson today is a tranquil fishing village, having declined from being the
principal port for the Roebourne district when
most of the larger mining companies set up modern shipping facilities at Dampier
Today the town is a popular
tourist destination for locals and visitors alike. The beaches around this area
are fringed with coral reefs offering protection to the local swimmers and some
great locations for snorkelling.