Shrine of Remembrance
Intersection of Reibey & Risby St, and
Alexandra Rd, ULVERSTONE TAS
The Round Base: coloured
blue, signifies the sea on which the island of Tasmania stands. This
is the native land from where the fallen, whose names are inscribed,
were born and gave their lives for its freedom.
The Three Columns: rising from the map of Tasmania denote the
three services R.A.N., A.I.F. and R.A.A.F. They each represent a
book, the squares of glass representing pages of the book where
names of the fallen are inscribed.
The Series of Links: connecting each column with the other
denote the strong ties of unity between the services.
The Laurel Wreath: suspended beneath the clock, with its
centre the rising sun, looks down over the names, and the visitor,
in looking at the wreath, unconsciously looks toward Heaven and
The Clock: denotes time and eternity, Time slowly marching on
and Eternity the ultimate end.
The Torch of Remembrance: surmounts the whole structure.
1914-18 Memorial: stands in the centre.
A public meeting in 1946 agreed on a clock tower as its 1939-45
memorial and a committee was set up to bring this into being. Much
work was accomplished during the years between its inception and the
time when a tender was accepted for its erection on 27th July, 1953.
Difficulties in securing a site ended when it was agreed to place it
where the 1914-18 memorial stood at the intersection of Reibey St,
Risby St, and Alexandra Road, the highest point in the town. This
memorial was incorporated in the new memorial.
A new arrival in Ulverstone, Cvetko Florian Mejac, from Slovenia,
offered to prepare plans and specifications free of cost to the
committee which accepted a design submitted by him.
A four faced electrical clock was ordered from Ingrams Bright Pty
Ltd of Melbourne at a cost of ฃ1,100. A public appeal for funds was
opened and well supported. The state Government subscribed ฃ3,000.
The municipal Council gave approval for the work to proceed and
tenders were called for. Only one tender was received this being
from Artisan, South Road, Ulverstone, members being Jernej Bajzelj,
Rudy Zimic, both Slovenians, and John McNeill.
This tender was accepted and work commenced on July 30th, 1953,
and completed January 5th, 1954.
Approximately ฃ4,400 was still outstanding when the tender of
ฃ11,662 was accepted, and the committee undertook personal
responsibility for this amount.
War Memorial Park c 1999
War Memorial Park has been designed to provide a setting and
contemplation area for the towns most significant memorial. It is
placed at the junction point of the main street and the history
museum entry, and is the starting point for the Stories of
Ulverstone trail. The park features the Gallipoli Pine and art work
designed around the theme of peace and harmony. Art works include a
bench by Ray Norman and plaques by Julie Stoneman.
The Tasmanian Lighthorse Memorial honours those mounted Tasmanian
soldiers and their horses who served in the Boer War and in two
World Wars. The Memorial, in the form of a mural adjacent to Ware
Memorial Park, was completed in 1999 to mark the 100th Anniversary
of the formation of their unit.
In the year 1899, the Commander of the Tasmanian Colonial Forces,
Colonel W.V. Legge, asked the Tasmanian Government to raise a
mounted reconnaissance force to support the artillery and infantry
units in the Colony. He recommended that this unit be based at
Ulverstone because the district was prosperous with many young
horsemen and suitable horses. The Tasmanian Mounted Infantry was the
result, with the first company being formed at Ulverstone in the
year. During the Boer War many young men from that unit served with
the Tasmanian Bushmen, where two of them Lt G.G.E. Wylly and Trooper
J.H. Bisdee were awarded Victoria Crosses.
Source: Ulverstone Local History
Museum, 50 main St, ULVERSTONE TAS Ph: 03 6425 3835